Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Girl Watching

john recently pointed out a post from Craigslist, which he was kind enough to save for posterity.

Go read it.

Back now? Ok.

As a card-carrying Modern Feminist my inital reaction reading that post was a fervent "Amen, Sister!" She, and any other woman, should have the right to go about her day without being a sexualized if she chooses.

By the end, though, jealousy overcame my support. Not once have I ever had an experience like any of those. Not once has a man treated me sexually just because of how I look. The hard truth of the matter is that being given no sexuality is just as dehumanizing as being treated only as a sex object. There are indeed moments when I am grateful for my position on the spectrum.

And then there's all the other moments of my life, in which I am very, very, not grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enough of a fleshly creature to enjoy looking at attractive females and males. I like beauty. And the beauty of face and body seem as legitimate as good prose and music.

But I reject the idea that sexual attractiveness is simply a matter of a comely surface. I had a wonderful moment of erotic satori when I found myself admiring a middle-aged woman with a big worry crease across her forehead as she was looking at the poetry section of my bookshop. The intelligence and intensity - possibly undeserved - was very potent.

As self-aware being we do have the power to direct our sexuality to human qualities without pretending that we aren't deeply appreciative of the exterior gloss.

The Invisible Spinster said...

richard,

thanks for stopping by :)

I don't think sexual attractiveness is *only* in the body, but my sadness/frustration stems from the fact that people so rarely bother to look any deeper for it. Especially in regards to myself.